Helping you achieve profits affordably

hands joining together in support- Supports for Alberta Landlords

Supports for Alberta Landlords

Are there supports for landlords? Yes!  Many landlords believe they have to figure everything out on their own. That’s simply not true. There are many supports and resources in place for landlords. If you don’t know how to find them, this is an overview resource guide for Alberta Landlords.

Which Acts Apply to Residential Rental Properties?

Residential rental properties have acts and regulations that govern every aspect of the structure’s safety and health and the tenants’ safety and health.

As a residential landlord, there are two main acts you familiarize yourself with; the Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) and the Innkeepers Act. The RTA is your go-to act if you rent properties where you do not live. Basically, the Innkeepers Act applies to landlords with rooming houses or renting rooms in their private residence.  

Below is a list of resources with links to acts that govern residential housing and landlord-tenant law in Alberta and support resources for landlords.

Residential Landlords Acts

Condominium Acts

 Freedom of Information and Privacy & Human Rights

Public Health and Safety, Housing and Building Standards

RTDRS Eviction Process

Day-to-day Landlord Operations

If you find the interpretation of the Acts confusing – you’re in good company, The Centre for Public Legal Education Alberta (CPLEA) does an excellent job of explaining laws in plain language. Included are also links to CPLEA resources and supports for communities experiencing habitual illegal activity and essential services for tenants experiencing issues that may require referrals to third-party providers.


Unfortunately, pests and rodents are a part of landlording. Here are resources that provide information on how to deal with them.

Issues with Real Estate Professionals

RECA is the independent governing authority that enforces professional standards for real estate professionals in Alberta. If you have issues with your real estate professional, you can file a complaint with The Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA).


Dealing with Common Issues

There are popular issues all landlords deal with from time to time, such as abandoned goods, frozen pipes, floods, fires, non-payment of rent, domestic violence, insurance, etc. There are many supports to guide you through the processes.




Domestic Violence

Personal Information and Privacy

Human Rights

Landlords are only sometimes aware that housing falls under the Human Rights Act in Canada. Here are supports to explain how it applies.

Others who have gone before you are willing to offer their wisdom and supports. Simply by educating yourself with available landlord resources ensures a better outcome when you need guidance or advice, as we all do.

What are your favourite landlord supports?  I’d love to know about them, email me [email protected]

To take advantage of helpful tips, tools, and educational resources for DIY landlords, sign up for a membership for Landlord Fundamentals 101. To save even more time and money, combine Landlord Fundamentals 101 with one-on-one coaching to qualify for the Canada Alberta Job Grant.

To have access to all the resources in one place – buy my book!  Canadian Landlords Handbook.

Would you like to receive articles, tips, and events? My news blast will help!

[mc4wp_form id=”143″

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

I accept the Privacy Policy